Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina















I cannot believe it! I have watched with horror as a city I love, inhabited by people I adore is awash with destruction.

Canal Street seems to have disappeared. The exact number of deaths is unknown. The French Quarter unrecognisable.

For those of you have not yet realised, New Orleans is experiencing widespread flooding due to this Hurricane. It is without power and is suffering what is considered to be catastrophic damage in residential as well as business areas. Listening to the news it seems that the city is pretty much under water.

The National Weather Service reported that water had overtopped levees in Orleans and St. Bernard parishes. The east side of New Orleans is under 5 to 6 feet of water. People in the flooded Ninth Ward in Metro New Orleans sent 116 residents to rooftops to seek aid. Emergency crews have been busy answering phone calls about urgent situations like heart attacks and pregnancies. Yesterday morning, it was reported that 20,000 people were in the Superdome, yet this building's roof had been breached, with two holes, "each about 15 to 20 feet long and 4 to 5 feet wide" and that water is also making its way in at elevator shafts and other small openings". People are reported to now being allowed outside the superdome, but they are still are unable to leave the area. Yesterday afternoon one person jumped out of the Superdome to his death. Mayor Ray Nagin described New Orleans as "totally dark" with no clear way in or out, with eighty percent of the city flooded with some areas with water depths of 20 feet. Both airports are underwater and that gas leaks are reported throughout the city. It is not pleasant.

Ironically, Venezuala, usually vilified by the US Government, is coming to the assistance of the those subject to this disaster. They are offering to sell them heating fuel at a subsidised rate.

Personally, I don't care that it is the most expensive hurricane ever, I don't care about the insurance companies! How can all the news reports be concentrating on the hike in premiums, the effect on the oil companies and the global effect on consumers when people are losing their lives, their homes and their livelihoods! Arghhhh! I am vain enough to think that you all read this blog on a regular basis even though I do not update it often and you have probably given up on me by now, but please know, I think of you all daily and pray that you and your families and friends are all OK. I know that internet may not be your highest priority right now, but if you can get in touch, please do. Let me know you are safe.

To all of you still there and those who mananged to make it out, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I miss you all so much. Sending big hugs and love.

13 Comments:

Blogger Milonare said...

Hope things are well with all those you know there Wambui...

Had a chance to visit New Orleans 3 years back and loved it! I can't imagine that beautiful place underwater :(

Here's keeping them in our prayers...

1:39 PM  
Blogger akiey said...

I am still reeling in utter shock at what's happening in the Lou. I have close friends & some are basically family to me now. I finally got to hear from some of them today. Right now am still trying to track down a buddy we grewe up with. He works in New Orleans... calls not going through, no email, no info up to now. Hope him, his wife & little kid are okay. It's scary thinking about the destruction. Too much, too fast!

1:03 AM  
Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

Perhaps it is time to move away from the low lying areas by the sea... Levies don't cut it. Eventually they give way and the sea claims the land. I'm just thinking realistically here. Sorry if it isn't PC.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Snapshots of ... said...

@Milo - thank you. It was a great city - still is! And I fell in love with it and the people with whom I worked and played ;-)

@Akiey: I hear you. I was manic on the phone for two days until I managed to get through yesterday. I am still waiting to hear about several people and you are right, many became family and it is all too much, too fast.

12:22 PM  
Blogger irena said...

Wambui: Welcome to American Journalism!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Uaridi said...

Prayers for you and for all in New Orleans. May she rise from the floods soon

5:06 PM  
Blogger Acolyte said...

It is a sad state of affairs.But at least disaster recovery systems work well here.If it was in Kenya I shudder to think what would be happening.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The images and stories are shocking. I shall keep praying for all those affected.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pole sana Mrembo. I thought of you the minute I heard what had happened. What I see has come to the fore is America's underbelly. The poverty that the people in the Southern states live in is just shocking. It is a shame that this had to happen before something was done but I sincerely hope and pray that something will be done to improve their lives.

Thinking and praying for all those people and for you, dear Wambui.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Snapshots of ... said...

Thank you all so much. I feel your prayers. I do.

@Irena - the more I read, the more upset I get. Especially as Mshairi says, La has an incredibly large population that live under the poverty or just on that line. Leaving was not an option. And now, with no electricity to operate the fuel pumps, no one can go anywhere. It is Day 5 and still recovery operations are in their infancy. Arghhh!

Rebuilding is going to be a Herculean task to say the least. It will never be the same and cannot be replicated.

@Acolyte - so true.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wambui!!! Its Jacquie from Liverpool. You have been in my thoughts so much over the past few days. Thank God you are ok.
I was in NYC when the hurricane struck and I was just dumbfounded when I watched the scenes of devastation and death from the CNN screens at Newark Airport.

My heart is with you. All the way from Liverpool.

Love

Jac xoxoox

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Jacquie: So good to hear from you girl! Funny but was talking about you last night (person met working with an HIV charity here and was explaning about a woman I know...blah blah blah!) Hee hee! Miss you woman.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi luv!

I manage a 12 step recovery centre now......and each morning all the staff and clients send love and energy to named people (living or dead); girl, you had so many people sending you love and energy!!!!! Your name has been uttered by so many in the recovery community over the last week.

BIG HUG from Scouseland.

Jac xoxoox

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home